Best CBD Cream For Pain – Complete Guide (2020)
There are many different forms of CBD to take, but when it comes to local pain and inflammation — CBD cream is the best choice. It is beneficial for people with skin problems, joint pain, and many other pain types.
Let’s take a closer look: How exactly is CBD cream useful for people suffering from pain? For what kinds of pain would CBD cream be an appropriate solution? What is the best CBD cream for pain relief?
Read this guide to understand how CBD cream can be beneficial for you and how to choose the best CBD cream for pain and inflammation.
CBD creams are body creams infused with CBD. They can also contain other natural ingredients, such as aloe vera to soften the skin, or capsaicin which is also used by people suffering from aches and inflammation. CBD creams are applied topically — directly to the affected areas for a rapid and localized effect.
If you suffer from arthritis pain or joint pain, or you had a sports injury and look for faster recovery, or you are tired from your back pain — CBD cream would be a good supplement to help you improve your everyday life.
The main advantages of CBD are that:
- It doesn’t cause any psychoactive effects;
- It is safe to use without severe side effects;
- It is federally legal in the US.
What Are the Differences Between CBD Creams and Other CBD products?
Let’s take a look at four main methods of taking CBD. They are:
- Sublingually (under the tongue)
- By inhaling (vaping)
- Applied to the skin (topical)
Depending on the methods, there are different types of CBD products:
- CBD oils
- CBD capsules
- CBD edibles
- CBD creams
- CBD vape oils
- CBD tinctures
- CBD infused beverages
All of them deliver CBD effect, but they differ in time that it takes for you to feel a change and the time this effect stays in your body.
What Types of CBD are Used Topically?
In case you’re suffering from local pain or inflammation and want to try CBD, applying it directly to the skin is the best way. Since you’re not ingesting it, CBD can’t reach your bloodstream and isn’t processed by the liver. CBD creams are absorbed into the first layer of skin (the epidermis) and don’t go deeper than this, providing a local effect.
There are different types of CBD topicals besides the cream: CBD salve, CBD balm, and CBD lotion.
CBD cream and CBD lotion are almost the same. The difference between them is the texture: creams are thicker than lotions. But their overall properties don’t have any major differences.
CBD balms and salves also differ in texture (salve is thinner) but have the same properties. Also, they have beeswax among the ingredients, which makes them different from creams in density.
Creams usually are packed in tubs with CBD contents specified on a package. Since most of the research conducted on CBD explored the potential benefits of consuming it by people suffering from pain rather than applying locally, there’s no specific dosage for local CBD cream application. It is individual in every case.
What Are the Main Forms of CBD?
Creams may contain different forms of the CBD compound that are stated on the packaging, which depends on the method of extraction. You can see the forms of CBD on a tub of cream:
- CBD isolate: it is 100% pure CBD
- Broad-spectrum CBD: contain other Cannabis compounds, including small traces (less than 0.03%) of THC (psychoactive Cannabis compound)
- Full-spectrum CBD: contains multiple Cannabis components, including CBD, terpenes, fats, proteins, and THC (could be more than 0.03%)
CBD is used as an ingredient in different types of products, other than cream. Let’s take a look at how do they differ?
What Are the Benefits of CBD Creams?
Even though CBD creams don’t go into your bloodstream, they are still very effective.
The benefits of a CBD cream are that:
- It moisturizes and soothes aching or broken skin
- It doesn’t contain heavy ingredients that could clog your pores
- It interacts with your body in a natural way to effect locally
CBD creams can be beneficial for people suffering from
- Joint inflammation, such as arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Sports injuries
- Back pain (lower back pain, neck pain or chronic back pain)
- And other types of pain
Even though CBD cream isn’t absorbed into the bloodstream, it still interacts with the human endocannabinoid system.
How Does CBD Work for Pain?
CBD can bring many benefits to people suffering from pain and inflammation since it interacts with our endocannabinoid system (ECS).
The ECS targets different systems, such as immune and nervous and is responsible for internal processes and functions, including mood, sleep, and memory. The main task of ECS is to provide homeostasis — the overall balance in our body.
ECS consists of endocannabinoids (neurotransmitters), cannabinoid receptors that are spread throughout the whole body, and ferment. There are different types of receptors, including:
- CB1, found in the central nervous system
- CB2, found in the peripheral nervous system and immune cells
The endocannabinoids bind to the receptors when needed to reach homeostasis. For example, endocannabinoids can bind CB1 receptors when your body is in pain.
CBD is a phytocannabinoid and that’s why it can interact with your ECS and target different processes, including pain and inflammation.
What Does Science Say About the Benefits of CBD for Pain?
There are quite a few studies that showed how CBD works for people suffering from pain:
- A study conducted in 2007 found that CBD activates the GPR55 receptor which targets pain and inflammation.
- A 2008 research states that “cannabinoid analgesia” mechanisms can be beneficial to people suffering from MS or cancer pain.
- In 2016, a research article published in the European Journal of Pain discussed a study conducted on rats in which CBD showed its potential to reduce joint swelling.
- A 2017 study demonstrated the potential benefits of CBD for people with pain and nerve damage in joints.
- Another study showed that CBD can be used by people experiencing headaches and migraines.
- Yet another study conducted in 2017 showed a positive influence of CBD on people with neuropathic pain in improving their quality of life.
NanoCraft CBD Extra Strength Muscle and Joint Stick
- Manufactured in the USA using organic hemp
- Simple to apply
- The stick form is great if you don’t like a greasy feeling on your fingers
- Can be used during high-intensity training
Cannovia Muscle Gel
- Provides a cooling sensation
- Rich with botanical extracts
- Organically grown in Colorado
- Non-GMO and gluten-free
BB Lifestyle Active Pain Relief Lotion
- Can be used strenuous activities or workouts
- Doesn’t include additional fragrances
- Has hydrating properties
How People Use CBD Cream for Pain?
CBD cream is often used by people experiencing the following types of pain:
- Joint pain
- Arthritis pain
- Osteoarthritis pain
- Lyme pain
- Osteoarthritis pain
- Sports injury pain
- Spinal pain
- Neck pain
- Shingles pain
- Neuropathy pain
CBD Cream for Joint Pain
Pain in the joint is usually a result of a disease, like neuropathy or arthritis, or injury. CBD oil can be beneficial for people with different types of joint pains, for example, shoulder, knee, hip, and other types of pain.
You can use CBD by applying a cream to the aching area or combining it with capsules or tincture. Combining different types of products can increase the effect on your body.
If you are looking for the best CBD cream for joint pain, these are among the most popular products:
FabCBD’s CBD Muscle & Joint Topical
- Has a fresh scent that hides the hemp smell
- Hypoallergenic and can be used by people with sensitive sinuses or skin
- Contains other great ingredients, such as aloe vera, cocoa butter, coconut oil, olive oil, chamomile, vitamin E, citric acid, potassium sorbate, cinnamon, blood orange essential oil
Full-spectrum CBD cream
- CBD = 600 mg
- THC less than 0.03%
- Aroma: Subtle blood orange
- Manufacturer: FabCBD
- Testing: Lab reports done by ProVerde Laboratories
Elixicure Pain Relief Roll-on
- Made from organic hemp and essential oils
- Convenient for spot application
- 90% certified organic
Xtend5 Mending Milk
- Has a relaxing scent thanks to Frankincense, Myrrh, and Lavander
- High bioavailability of CBD
CBD Cream for Arthritis Pain
Arthritis is associated with an annoying type of pain, burning and long-lasting. Arthritis also causes a reduced range of motion, as well as weight loss, fatigue and sometimes anemia in some cases. A number of studies and user reviews show that CBD has a beneficial effect on people experiencing pain from arthritis and inflammation and helps them improve their everyday lifestyle.
The majority of studies were conducted on rats, where applying topical CBD demonstrated a significant effect on inflammation, and no additional side effects appearing. In 2019, the leading organization for people with arthritis, the Arthritis Foundation has released the first CBD guidance for adults with arthritis, considering its huge popularity and displayed effects.
As suggested by the Arthritis Foundation, to choose the best CBD cream for arthritis pain it’s always better to consult with a doctor and choose among the high-quality products. Here are some of the most popular products:
Biovelle CBD Coconut oil
- Food-grade coconut oil sourced from the Phillippines
- Can be ingested and used for cooking
- Has moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties
- Vegan, sugar- and gluten-free
CBD Triple Intensive Cream
- Contains high-quality THC-Free CBD Extract, Menthol, Shea Butter, Hemp Seed Oil, Aloe, and an array of beneficial essential oils from Rose Hips, Lemongrass, Pomegranate, Rosemary, Cedar Wood and Lavender
- Menthol provides a cooling sensation and helps deliver CBD to the source of inflammation
- Vegan and Leaping Bunny Certified
Full-spectrum CBD cream
- CBD = 180 mg
- THC less than 0.03%
- Aroma: Lavender
- Manufacturer: CBD daily
- Testing: Encore Labs
Topical CBD Ointment
- Made from high-quality Kentucky sourced hemp
- Infused it into an everyday moisturizing cream
- Icy menthol feeling for maximum effect
- Naturally moisturizing ingredients for supple, healthy-looking skin
CBD Cream for Osteoarthritis Pain
Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that affects cartilage. It can occur in joints in the hands, knees, hips, and spine. Osteoarthritis symptoms slowly increase over time and can cause pain and decreased flexibility in affected joints.
A study conducted in 2017 by the Dalhousie University of Halifax showed that CBD can be a good choice for people who experience osteoarthritis pain and neuropathy. Based on the scientists’ findings, applying CBD regularly could be beneficial for patients with joints inflammation in improving their overall feeling.
While looking for the best CBD cream for osteoarthritis pain you can consider different types of CBD-infused creams used for arthritis or joint pains.
Crafted Intensive Healing Pain Rub with 10% Emu Oil
- Contains 10% Emu Oil, Arnica Montana Flower, Squalane, Aloe and Boswellia Serrata Extract that have anti-inflammatory properties
- Has a mild and non-medicinal odor
- Can be used as often as necessary
CBD Topical Salve Eucalyptus
- Sourced from 100% organically-grown Oregon hemp
- Contains less than 0.2% THC
- Lab-tested for pesticides, solvents, chemical fertilizers, and other contaminants
- Contains natural ingredients: eucalyptus essential oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, emu oil, grape seed oil, omega 3 and 6 oils, soy protein, hibiscus flower extract, neem leaf extract, lemongrass extract, chamomile extract, aloe vera extract, full-spectrum CBD
Full-spectrum CBD cream
- CBD = 750 mg
- THC less than 0.03%
- Aroma: Eucalyptus
- Manufacturer: Premium Jane
- Testing: Lab tested
Enfleur 2000MG Full Spectrum Salve
- Can be used daily
- Soothes the skin
- Alcohol-free so it doesn’t dry the skin
- Sugar, dye, and gluten-free
CBD Cream for Sports Recovery
CBD cream can also be beneficial for people experiencing pain as a result of sports injuries or intensive training. Usually, active sports like football or basketball lead to strain or dislocations that cause pain in the joints, symptoms such as ‘tennis elbow’ or ‘jumper’s knee’ caused by tendinitis. CBD cream can be applied directly to the aching area.
Why did CBD become so popular among sportsmen and women? It is a natural that has anti-inflammatory and spasmolytic properties. At the same time, CBD doesn’t cause severe side effects or addiction, although it can cause nausea or allergic reactions in some cases.
And what’s important, CBD products that have no or less than 0.3% THC are legal to use in sports
Sport CBD Hand & Body Cream, 400mg
- Can be used after a strenous workout
- Contains menthol for a cooling sensation on the muscles
- Includes ingredients that are nourishing for the skin
CBD isolate cream
- CBD = 400 mg
- Aroma: Menthol
- Manufacturer: Dwell CBD
- Testing: third-party labs
1937 Wellness CBD Comfort Cream
- Highly concentrated and effective for sportsmen
- Contains pure CBD isolate with minimal traces of THC
- Also contains organic jojoba oil, camphor oil, and peppermint oil
BeMe Hemp Aide
- Contains almond oil, coconut oil, shea butter, and other moisturizing ingredients
- Made from organic ingredients
CBD Cream for Spinal Pain
People experience different types of spine pain, such as sciatica pain, lower back pain or neck pain that can be caused by a number of reasons and require different approaches. For example, back pain caused by a small injury or a draught needs just a topical and 1-2 weeks of rest. But if you don’t rest and keep agitating the affected area or overlook a serious injury, it can turn into chronic pain, so make sure to consult a certified medical specialist to find the best solution.
Research shows that topical CBD products may be beneficial to people who have back and spinal pain in different case scenarios, from a small injury to chronic pain and inflammation.
If you need the best CBD cream for chronic back pain, we suggest you choose the one with a higher dosage. In case you don’t need a powerful effect, lower concentrations can be applied.
Active Botanical Co Therapeutic Formulation Topical Salve
- Doesn’t have the “planty” scent
- Enriched with terpenes, such as pinene and limonene, for increased bioavailability
- Increased contents of CBD
Honey Oil CBD Topical Cream
- Can be used after an intensive training
- Contains essential oils to nourish and soothe the skin
- Contains high-potecy indieCream™ formula
CBDfx Hemp Cream
- Comes from plants grown organically in America
- Free of pesticides and other harmful chemicals
- Prepared via CO2-based extraction and comes with terpenes, amino acids, essential fatty acids and vitamins
- Also contains caffeine and white willow bark
Broad-spectrum CBD cream
- CBD = 150 mg
- THC less than 0.03%
- Aroma: Menthol
- Manufacturer: CBDfx
- Testing: CCTesting Labs
CBD Cream for Neck Pain
Neck pain is a common problem among modern citizens. Computers, sedentary lifestyle, incorrect posture and all this can cause neck pain even in generally healthy people, be it a teenager or a grown-up. Often, this kind of pain also leads to headaches — another common attribute of today’s lifestyle.
User reviews suggest that CBD creams can be beneficial for people suffering from neck pain. But even if CBD works for your case, you should still consult a doctor as neck pain can be signaling some serious health problems, including osteochondrosis, neuropathy and even infectious diseases, such as tuberculosis.
Choosing the best CBD cream for neck pain you should consider standard parameters, such as brand reputation and CBD concentration, and apply the cream topically.
HEMP Freeze Pain Cold Rub Therapy
- Provides a cryotherapy effect
- 100% vegan
- Contains oils and extracts to soothe and moisturize the skin
Back & Neck pain relief ointment
- Infused with hemp-derived CBD
- Contains natural moisturizing agents
- Contains naturally-derived ingredients
- Additional ingredients: Camphor, Menthol
CBDMuscle Recovery Balm
- Has GMP (good manufacturing practice) certification
- Organic and vegetarian-friendly
- Additional ingredients: coconut oil, cocoa butter, and beeswax
CBD Cream for People with Shingles
Shingles is an infection that causes a painful rash and itchiness that can last for approximately 1 week. It often happens as a result of chickenpox and can appear years later. The cause of them both is the varicella zoster virus.
Applying the best CBD cream for shingles pain can be a good choice for people with inflamed and aching skin. Here are some of the top options.
Charlotte’s Web Hemp-Infused Balm
- Smooth application on large body areas
- Scented and unscented options, no synthetic fragrances
- Additional ingredients: aloe, coconut oil, arnica, shea butter, vitamins B5 and E, apricot kernel oil
- Ingredients are sustainably grown, non-GMO, gluten-free, cruelty-free and packaged
- BPA-free packaging
Common Ground Recover
- Designed for post-workout used
- Contains organic essential oils
- Contains terpenes to increase the bioavailability of CBD: limonene, linalool, b-pinene, myrcene, terpinolene
Cannuka Nourishing Body Cream
- Has smoothing and hydrating properties
- Contains manuka honey, known for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties
- Additional ingredients: hyaluronic acid, grapefruit essential oil
CBD Cream for Lyme Pain
Lyme disease is a tick-borne infection that often causes joint pains, in addition to other symptoms, such as sickness and headache.
Studies showed CBD can be useful to people experiencing both mild and severe pain caused by this disease:
- Mild symptoms — rash and pain around the bite
- Serious symptoms — arthritis and constant pain in the joints
It is extremely important to have qualified medical assistance and supervision in the case of Lyme disease. Otherwise, more severe consequences may follow, such as chronic arthritis, encephalopathy, and brain damage. As for painful symptoms, many people report that CBD topicals worked great for them and helped improve their quality of life.
- Made without artificial ingredients or even synthetic scents
- Effective in relieving pain naturally
- Infused with wintergreen leaf
- Highly potent
- Contains a combination of essential oils
- Made without pesticides or GMOs
Full-spectrum CBD cream
- CBD = 500mg
- THC less than 0.03%
- Aroma: Natural
- Manufacturer: CBDistillery
- Testing: Independent Lab Test
Physicians Grade CBD Pain Rub Cream
- Provides a cooling sensation
- Sources from organic hemp
CBD Cream for Neuropathic Pain
Neuropathy is a condition associated with nerve damage, that results in nerve pain (e.g., post-herpetic or post-shingles neuralgia, phantom limb pain) that is often described as a shooting or burning. It can happen as a result of injury or due to serious diseases like diabetes or cancer.
CBD cream has anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective properties that can potentially be useful to people who suffer from neuropathic pain. You can apply CBD cream to the area that hurts the most to improve your wellbeing. To feel the best results, choose the best CBD cream for neuropathic pain, depending on reviews and clinical trials. Here are some best-selling options:
WA CBD Foot Cream
- Contains pure CBD isolate
- Formulated with moisturizing cocoa butter, menthol, peppermint, arnica capsicum
CBD isolate cream
- CBD = 500 mg
- Aroma: Chocolate & Mint
- Manufacturer: WA CBD Cosmetics
- Testing: Botanacor Laboratories, LLC
White Fox Repair Remedy Salve
- Has antimicrobial properties
- Additional ingredients: willow bark, Helichrysum, and arnica
Gemstone CBD Amber CBD -03. Cream
- Made specifically for hands and feet
- Infused with vitamins and essential oils to soothe and moisturize the skin
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Can be used several times a day
How to Apply CBD Cream?
CBD cream should be used topically. Take a little amount of cream and gently apply a thin layer on the affected area.
Avoid direct contact with your mouth and eyes and rinse with warm water profusely, if it happens. Immediately consult a doctor in case of allergic or any other suspicious reactions.
In general, CBD creams are natural and have no severe side effects. However, some people can develop an allergic reaction even to natural products, so it is recommended to, first, do a test on a patch of skin on the inside of your wrist.
How Does CBD Cream Make You Feel?
Or more specifically, how it won’t make you feel. CBD cream has no psychoactive properties — CBD itself is a non-psychoactive compound. Federally legal products contain no more than 0.3% THC and topical forms of CBD aren’t absorbed into the bloodstream, so you don’t need to worry about feeling “high”.
Other than that, CBD cream can smooth and moisturize the skin. Users also say that it was useful in soothing irritation where applied.
Are There Any Side Effects of Using CBD Cream?
According to the research, CBD is considered as a safe natural substance that doesn’t cause any severe side effects. However, people prone to allergies are at risk of developing an allergic reaction.
The potential side effects of using CBD include:
- Dry mouth
- Lower blood pressure
- Changes in appetite or weight
The effects are mild and happen very rarely when using CBD cream, because of the local method of application. If they do occur, stop using the product, try using smaller doses or consult a specialist in case the side effects are serious.
CBD Cream and Drug Interactions
CBD creams, and any form that’s not ingested, aren’t absorbed into the bloodstream which lowers the risk of drug interaction to a minimum.
However, side effects may happen when using CBD along with antidepressants (Prozac), antibiotics (erythromycin), and other drugs. Both CBD and medicinal drugs can interfere in achieving the desired effects, so always consult your doctor about using CBD if you are undergoing treatment. Even if CBD is in cream form.
CBD Cream Dosage
CBD Creams dosage is specified on the packaging and container. The correct dosage for local CBD cream use is individual in every case.
Researchers from the McGill University Health Center and McGill University in Quebec, Canada, found that low doses of CBD administered for several days had a positive effect on people who experience pain and inflammation. This could mean that even in small doses, CBD cream can potentially bring you the desired effect.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best CBD Cream
Due to the huge variety of CBD creams on the market, there are several things to consider when buying:
- Your doctor’s recommendations. It’s always better to get a qualified consultation instead of self-treatment, especially if you have a serious condition or an allergy.
- The brands’ reputation. Read as many customer reviews as possible and on different platforms and research the company’s ratings.
- Products testings and third-party lab-test reports about the safety of a specific cream.
- Contents. It’s better to use products without artificial colorants or aromas and if you’re prone to allergies, always choose unscented products.
- THC contents. To be non-psychoactive and legal in all parts of the USA, CBD cream must have no more than 0.3% THC.
- Source. CBD products, including creams, are usually made hemp, but sometimes you’ll see marijuana-based options as well. Marijuana-derived CBD is illegal in some parts of the USA. So make sure you understand where the CBD comes from before you buy.
CBD concentration. Different creams can have a different amount of CBD. The higher the concentration, the less amount of the cream you need to apply.
Where to Buy the Best CBD Cream for Pain?
There are lots of CBD products on the market, and the number of sellers and manufacturers is constantly growing. It’s good because CBD is becoming more accessible and affordable, but on the other hand, it’s becoming harder to find a high-quality product.
Therefore, there’s a risk to meet manufacturers that offer low-quality CBD that contains a wrong concentration or even traces of psychoactive THC that is illegal in many states and may show up on a drug test.
So, how to choose a really good CBD cream among all the options present out there? Of course, it’s almost impossible for an individual to personally check all the companies’ info, reviews, and feedback — but it’s possible for a company.
Here in CBDee.com, we not only check the reputation of every manufacturer we add to our catalog. We have also teamed up with third-party laboratories that test every product to make sure it passes all federal guidelines and corresponds to the declared quality.
Every product you can find on the pages of the CBDee.com website has a proven quality tested by professionals.
Browse the website to choose the best CBD cream for your needs.
Top CBD Creams for Pain
Topia Organics CBD Salve
- Water-soluble for faster absorption
- Organically grown hemp
JustCBD Pain Roll On
- Easy to apply without getting the hand greasy
- Promotes skin hydration
- Sourced from industrial hemp
Mary’s Nutritionals Muscle Freeze
- Provides a soothing, cooling sensations
- Good for those who prefer gel over cream or stick format
- Hemp sourced in Colorado
- Long-lasting effects